Thursday, October 30, 2014

A LADY'S PERSPECTIVE: GURLEY GAL'S TAKE ON JACKSONVILLE

We received some feedback awhile ago letting us know that WWW never included any lady opinions on college football. We politely asked for another cold beer and got back to reading the sports page.

But here we are today with the very FIRST solo featurette ever penned by one of our many lady followers, Gurley Gal.

I first met Gurley Gal a year or so ago when both of us we're competing in the Carolina Mountains Holiday Table Tennis Tournament near Bryson City, North Carolina (editor's note: the home of Tennessee legend Heath Shuler).

As fate would have it, we faced each other in the opening round. Gurley Gal quickly dispatched me (editor's note: I was on heavy medication that I inadvertently mixed with a mighty fine merlot, thus impeding my reflexes. And, yes, I'm whining) and I dropped to the Loser's Bracket, where I quickly dropped to the one-and-done bracket.

Another Dawg win?
You've probably guessed by now that Gurley Gal is a Georgia girl. Yep. She bleeds Red & Black, thinks UGA IX is cute, and believes that Herschel Walker rules the Universe. I remind her that both Herschel and UGA's national championship happened long before she was even a twinkle in her daddy's eye. But her enthusiasm never wanes.

Yet Gurley Gal is no ordinary girl that happens to like Georgia football. She actually knows her stuff - just ask her about Quarterback Rating Efficiencies and Turnover Ratios - and passionately follows her Dawgs at home and on the road (if she ain't in Athens on Game Day then you'll find her in Columbia, Knoxville, Lexington, Fayetteville, and more). So she knows her college football and that's why we felt she was more than qualified to be our first ever Lady solo featurette contributor.

So, let's start with a little Question & Answer with Gurley Gal.

TIME FOR Q&A WITH GURLEY GAL...

WWW:  How long have you been a UGA fan and why?
Gurley Gal:  My dad became a UGA professor in 2000. When we made the move from Nashville, I instantly fell in love with the town and DePalma’s Italian Cafe (our first meal in Athens, Ga). When I was younger we had football and gymnastics season tickets, but I didn’t become a true fan until I was on campus and eating at the dining hall with A.J. Green (editor's note: DePalmas on East Broad Street is one of our faves and especially delish after kicking some mutt butt).
Mutts motor into River City for Gator grilling

WWW:   What's your greatest memory from a UGA game?
Gurley Gal: I don’t know my favorite game memory because I am still waiting on that BIG MOMENT. Worst memory, losing to Alabama in the SEC Championship in 2012.
WWW:   I feel your pain.

WWW:   Any favorite or not so favorite memory from a Jacksonville game?
Gurley Gal:  Favorite memory of a Jacksonville game was 2012 when we won after 3 year losing streak and watching all the Gator fans leave early. By the end of the game the UF side of the stadium was completely empty! And we partied big time!

WWW:   Speaking of parties, what’s the tailgating/party scene like at the big game?
Gurley Gal:  It's awesome. If you survive Frat Beach in St. Simons on Thursday, head to Jacksonville on Friday. Winn Dixie sets up a free tailgate every year where they hand out the best little pork sandwiches. Who doesn’t love free food?

WWW:   Are lady fans really into college football or is it just something to do with the guys (please don't throw anything at me!)? 
Gurley Gal:  I believe that you have women on both sides of that argument. I happen to really enjoy
Snagged herself a keeper
college football and, believe it or not, I traveled with all girls to most of the away games during my college years. The college football landscape is changing and Condoleezza Rice (official member of the College Football Playoff selection committee) is a great example of that. Women are making progress and if you are looking for a new blog to follow SEC Diva covers all you need to know about SEC football (editor's note: they have approached us to acquire WWW. We said 'no'. Actually, 'hell no').

WWW:  So, you're a Georgia football fan but a Kentucky basketball fan. What's up with that?
Gurley Gal:  Well, I was born bleeding Blue. My parents met and married in Lexington and my dad (Wildcat Bill) got his PhD at the University of Kentucky. Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat. I cheer for my alma mater in all sports, just not when they are playing my Kentucky basketball boys.

WWW:  And Wildcat Bill is a season ticket holder at Sanford?
Gurley Gal:  Absolutely. Been sitting with him since I was knee high to UGA.

PLEASE WELCOME GURLEY GAL....

Dawgs Streaking into the River City

Gurley Gal here, ready to fill your heads with everything you need to know about this Saturday’s Cocktail Party down in Jacksonville.

The Bulldawgs are coming off a well-deserved bye week after two big road wins at Missouri and Arkansas. The Dawgs are currently ranked No. 9 in the country and in first place in the SEC East standings. With a win this week, the Red & Black could be in control of their own destiny to get to Pasadena in the first-ever CFB playoff.

This will be the 92nd meeting between UGA and Floriduh, and the Dawgs have come out of EverBank Field with three consecutive wins. Coach Richt has definitely turned the tide in this rivalry after we’ve struggled with the likes of Spurrier and Meyer for years.

Can UGA make it four in a row and keep the five game win streak alive? We shall see. I do know I never plan to go back. I saw my Dawgs play in 2011 when we finally pulled out the win my senior season after a gruesome 3-year losing streak. I have experienced the highs and the lows in this rivalry - and decided I’d go out with the win.
 
Trick or Treat?

Late Tuesday, the NCAA finally made their decision on Todd Gurley’s reinstatement. Though he won’t be back this week, I will admit I am happy to have him back at all, especially Nov. 15th to face Auburn in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry. Until then I have complete faith in Nick Chubb who rushed for a combined 345 yards the past two games.
 
If you’re a Weekend Winner, bet on the Dawgs to take care of business at the WLOCP. 

This is a crazy rivalry and anything can happen, but expect UGA to outcoach and outclass Muschamp and his group of Gators. After UF fans run Muschamp out of Gainesville, I’d expect to see him picking up the 21,000 pounds of litter collected from the infamous Frat Beach on St. Simons Island that we’ll leave in our wake.

Sic' em!

Be looking for your GREAT EIGHT™ WINNING PICKS on Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment